Never run a half marathon before? Have a treasure chest of half marathon race medals? Whatever goal you may have for the race, from just crossing the finish line to getting that new personal record, we have some options for you!
For you beginners who feel you want to get a jump on things, check out the Jeff Galloway Method here.
For novices to intermediate runners, Hal Higdon offers some free as well as paid training plans you can access here.
For those of you who want the more hands on approach, The Running Store offers a comprehensive long distance training program for races of 10 miles or more. This program has enabled those who have never run a half marathon to complete their first as well as enabled many to qualify for the Boston Marathon. For more information on The Running Store’s Distance Training Program, click here.
Below is a calculator to get you thinking about the minute per mile pace you’ll need to meet that goal. Enter in 13.1 for the distance, then the time in minutes you want to finish the race by (for example 2 hours would be 120 minutes).
Our 2017 Newbies have been selected! Congratulations Rhoda Martin and Marc Mullen! Click on their names to follow their training plan and progress:
Rhoda Martin – has never completed a half marathon but does have other running experience so she will be following the intermediate plan.
Marc Mullen – has never completed a half marathon and does not have much running experience so he will follow the beginner plan.
(2017 contest rules below)
Have you ever wanted to run a half marathon? Have you attempted one but for some reason were unable to run or complete it? If so, you may be in luck! Prince William Half would like to help two people – Half Marathon Newbies – reach their goal of completing a half marathon.
For the past 10 years, the half marathon has been the fastest growing race distance in the U.S. It’s a challenging distance and a huge accomplishment. But at the same time we feel its a realistic goal for almost anyone since training for it isn’t overly consuming nor taxing on your body. And of course, its our favorite distance. ; )
The Prince William Half Newbie contest runs May 3 – May 30th. We will chose 1 male and 1 female newbie half marathoner. Each winner will receive free entry to the Prince William Half Marathon and a Running Inspiration shirt from The Running Store.
The rules for entering and being chosen are as follows:
- Applicants must complete a short application by May 30th.
- Applications will be reviewed and the winners will be announced on June 6th.
- Winners will “officially” start their training on June 25 – which is 14 weeks prior to the Prince William Half Marathon on October 1, 2017.
- Winners will be supplied a training plan but are not required to use it and may follow any plan that they chose.
- Winners will be featured in emails/social media in the months of June, July, August and September.
- Each month (for the months of June, July, August and September) winners will be sent a Runner Update Questionnaire which must be completed and sent back along with a picture of something related to their training (i.e. a picture of new running shoes or a new road they train on, picture of them running)